[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki Blank Screen

James Capp mail at jamescapp.com
Tue Dec 12 22:23:08 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have been experimenting with customizing MediaWiki for the past
couple of months using an inexpensive hosted account.  Suddenly, this
past week, my browser (Firefox) went completely blank (white) when
accessing the Main Page.  I was able to access the site using Safari,
but only the Main Page ---the rest was inoperable.

Suspecting my code modifications introduced the problem, I opened a
2nd account, with a new hosting provider, and installed an unmodified
MediaWiki, from scratch.  To my surprise, the problem was duplicated
---although this time Firefox goes blank (white) when the "edit"
button is selected and it can't be accessed by Safari at all.  I re-
installed without success.

I have been hosting MediaWiki with providers running later-versions
of PHP and MySQL, in order to match the System Requirements oulined
on MediaWiki.org.  These hosting providers, in the minority, are also
quite cheap.  Following is a summary of the server software on each
account:

Account 1:
OS:  Linux
PHP Ver.: 5.1.4
MySQL Ver.: 5.0.27-standard
Apache Ver.: 1.3.36 (Unix)

Account 2:
OS:  FreeBSD
PHP Ver.: 5.2.0
MySQL Ver.: 5.0.27-log
Apache Ver.: 1.3.37 (Unix)

Is there risk of running later versions of PHP/MySQL with the latest
MediaWiki?  Is there an optimal balance between MediaWiki and server
software versions?

Insights are appreciated.

Best,

James