[Mediawiki-l] Limiting anonymous edits to intranet

Michael Brenner mik.admin at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Dec 10 18:36:07 UTC 2006

Hi everybody,

we've got a MediaWiki installation on our university. For fighting spam
anonymous edits are disallowed with the "poor solution"[1] method. But there
might be a little bit better solution with the attached code[2] to only
disallow anonymous edits outside our intranet. Since non of use is a wiki
expert we're wondering can this do any harm to our database?

Thanks in advance - mik

[2]suggestion for LocalSettings.php:

if( ( ip2long($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) & ip2long('255.255.0.0') )
    !=  ip2long('111.222.0.0') ) {
  $wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
}

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Anti-spam_Features