[Mediawiki-l] Linking to page sections

Tim Ware tim at hyperarts.com
Sat Dec 9 18:24:21 UTC 2006

Running v1.8.2.

My pages are like an index, with the first line of each entry being,
for example:

Earp, Wyatt (1848-1929)

If I set this as a header of any type, I can link to it by specifying

[[#Earp, Wyatt (1848-1929)]]

My Question: Entering links from other pages to the Earp section of
its page, can I use a shortened version of the link call? It's too
cumbersome for users to have to enter an entire link title, so I'm
wondering if there's a shorthand as to how to markup the header or
change to link to that header?

I'm considering this approach instead of how I'm now doing it, which
is each entry title is just bolded and assigned an ID via a div:

Thanks. Tim