[Mediawiki-l] Need to restrict areas of a wiki by user

MHart wiki at matthart.com
Fri Dec 8 22:37:03 UTC 2006

> It seems that this extensions still leaves some holes, though. Like
> search results and action=edit.

We use a Google appliance on our sites - it cannot search restricted pages.
Action=edit is a hole, yes, as an internal-only site though, we didn't try
to force that.

I did at one time, though. To prevent action=edit on such pages, I hacked
index.php (now it would be in includes/Wiki.php) to check the page content
before any processing (via the page title requested) and restrict to users
and groups in there.

You are correct in that any purely extension method cannot fully prevent
viewing the page info - you have to hack the software to get that.

We also have a few wikis that are blocked by user name/password on the
folder, but that goes back to the separate wiki that the requester wants to
avoid.

- MHart