[Mediawiki-l] Need to restrict areas of a wiki by user

Ricardo Rodríguez webmaster at xen.net
Thu Dec 7 17:25:10 UTC 2006

At least on this side: one of the rules of thumb for the functioning of our group is based in what we call "user empowerment principle": once a user create a new page containing an original (at least within the group) idea, she/he must be empowered to grant access to team members she/he trust.

There are general policies people must follow.

We know how to do that while managing file access. To implement the same system with the collaborative edition environment is our main challenge at the moment.

And I am struggling to stick MediaWiki as long as possible. My problem is that is really difficult for me to contribute, if possible taking into account the basis of the whole project, to such an extension. I understand that it is not a priority and why, but perhaps it must be taken into account that the control of confidence relations is a must for most of the human-based  teams!

Greetings,

Ricardo

---
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team
>>> Jim Hu<jimhu at tamu.edu> 07/12/06 9:15 >>>
Why not just have separate wikis for your different groups?  We tried
setting permissions for namespaces on one wiki...users promptly
created new pages in the main namespace that were viewable by
everyone.  Since the ability to create links and new pages is part of
the whole point...
Jim Hu