[Mediawiki-l] intra-page templates

FDG001 at gmx.net FDG001 at gmx.net
Mon Dec 4 13:32:00 UTC 2006

Hey guys,

While I don't think this is possible (yet?), I still think it's worth discussing:

It'd be great if you could define variables on a page that could be included in the text and which would then be expanded when displaying the output.
Here's an example of what I mean (syntax arbitrary):
    <!-- variable definitions -->
    @status_done = <span style="color: green;">canceled</span>
    @status_inProgress = <span style="color: blue;">canceled</span>
    @status_canceled = <span style="color: red;">canceled</span>
    @document_manualEN = ''User Manual and Usage Notes''
    @document_manualDE = ''Benutzerhandbuch und Anwendungshinweise''
    <!-- text body -->
    This is an overview of current tasks:
    * Install MediaWiki %status_done%
    * Create Help pages %status_inProgress%
    * Go on vacation %status_canceled%
    * Create manuals:
    ** %document_manualEN%
    ** %document_manualDE%
    ** ensure consistency between %document_manualEN% and %document_manualDE%
(sorry for the lack of creativity in this example, but it should suffice to get my point across)

I believe this could enhance consistency within structured pages, and would probably be easy to implement - and learn - as well (too bad I'm not very experienced with PHP).
While I guess the same could be achieved with regular templates, it can be quite bothersome having to create a new template page for each tiny element - not to mention the issue of coming up with unique names for a large number of templates that are each only used on one particular page...

Any thoughts?

-- Frederik