[Mediawiki-l] Uploading files

Taylor Ralston tralston555 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 09:22:46 UTC 2006

On 12/2/06, Damien Hull <dhull at digitaloverload.net> wrote:

> I would like to add pictures to my MediaWiki site. According to some
> documentation I was reading I need to enable file uploads in
> LocalSettings.php. I copied the code, pasted it into the
> LocalSettings.php file. When I went to upload a file it said file
> uploads were not allowed.
>
> How do I turn file uploads on?
>
> I tried the following code
>
>     $wgUploadPath       = "$wgScriptPath/uploads";      ## Wiki 1.5defaults to /images, but allows more than just images
>     $wgUploadDirectory  = "$IP/uploads";                ## Wiki 1.5defaults to /images, but allows more than just images
>
>     ## To enable image uploads, make sure the above '$wgUploadPath'
> directory is writable by Apache User or group.
>     ## /(i.e.  chmod og+w uploads images)/  then the following should be
> true:
>     $wgEnableUploads                = true;

Off the top of my head I can think of two things. First, is uploading files
enabled on your web server? You might have to enable it first through your
php.ini file. The line in my file looks like this:

file_uploads = On

Secondly, in your LocalSettings.php, I believe that the $wgEnableUploads
variable is already included. Maybe you're pasting that code before the
$wgEnableUploads = false line. This in effect is setting it to true, then
later setting it to false. Check to see if your file has two occurrences of
this variable.