[Mediawiki-l] calendaring and scheduling with MediaWiki

Frederik Dohr fdg001 at gmx.net
Sat Dec 2 10:19:25 UTC 2006

Hello,

While searching for a "killer app" for convincing my colleagues of the
advantages of a wiki (see the thread on corporate wiki success factors),
I realized that calendaring and scheduling might be a very good thing to
start with.
This way everyone could, for example, enter their periods of absence
(e.g. vacations, out-of-office meetings etc.) in the wiki without the
hassle we currently have with these issues (we're mostly using an Excel
sheet for that at the moment).

However, I wonder how best to present the respective data.
Using the EasyTimeline extension probably wouldn't be a good thing for
starters, as its use is a little more complicated than the basic wiki
syntax.
A huge table might do the job, but its "source code" (i.e. wiki syntax)
would probably look like a huge mess to most of my colleagues.
So that leaves me with an ordinary sequential list - maybe with years
and months as (sub-)headings? The whole thing might look something like
this:
http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Simple_Timeline

Hmm, come to think of it, a shared Excel table might actually be better
then - also because it'd be easier to highlight weekends and holidays
there!?
What do you think of my assessment of this situation - any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance!

-- Frederik