[Mediawiki-l] Document Architecture

Ron Hall ron.hall at mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 29 17:06:22 UTC 2006

Howdy

I have the unenviable task of creating a standard set of documentation
that is really an aggregation of information that lives in a variety
of different places. Now I was wondering what would be the best way of
building such pages?

Should rely completely upon the Wiki and use WikiTemplates to have
common blocks identified (e.g. hostinfo) or should I try and snarf
if out from various databases or even some single issue RSS feed.

Of course this make the documentation difficult to maintain, but at the
same time it theoretically is dynamic reflecting whatever the state
of the various input sources.

The alternative is create a skeleton and let people edit that and plug
things in. If I use that method how "ugly" is having a skeletion
with WikiTemplates in it?
Something like

{{Template}}
Text