[Mediawiki-l] Uploading Files with german special characters like ö, ä, ü, etc.

Frank Blumensatt bl at vitronic.com
Mon Aug 28 10:16:22 UTC 2006

Hello,

after porting an existing wiki-installation from OpenBSD to Windows Server 2003
we have got the problem that files with german special characters aren't
uploaded correctly.

Just an example:

I uploaded the file "test_ö_ä_ü_Ö_Ä_Ü_ß.jpg". No error message is shown and when
the link below the upload-success-message (Test_ö_ä_ü_Ö_Ä_Ü_ß.jpg  (12KB,
image/jpeg) ) is clicked, this is the result:

Not Found
The requested URL /wiki/images/e/eb/Test_ö_ä_ü_Ö_Ä_Ü_ß.jpg was not found
on this server.

The file on the (NTFS-)filesystem is named "Test_ö_ä_ü_Ö_Ä_Ü_ß.jpg".

I already tried to change
$wgLegalTitleChars = " %!\"$&'()*,\\-.\\/0-9:;=?@A-Z\\\\^_`a-z~\\x80-\\xFF";
$wgLegalTitleChars = " %!\"$&'()*,\\-.\\/0-9:;=?@A-Z\\\\^_`a-z~";
to disable the last 127 ASCII characters (also including ö, ä, ü, Ö, Ä, Ü, ß).
With this change, I can avoid that persons can upload files with those
characters. Those characters will be replaced by "-". But -of course- it also
isn't possible to create articles with special characters anymore, which is
rather unacceptable.

On my Windows Server 2003 I am running
Apache 2.0.55 (Win32)
PHP 4.4.2
MySQL 5.0.24

I would be very pleased if someone can help and tell me how I can provide this
wiki with the ability to use german special characters on Windows Server 2003.

Thank you in advance,

kind regards,

Frank