[Mediawiki-l] Should I be doing this??

Yusuf Mohsinally yusufm at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 25 21:44:43 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a site that will have information about programming languages. My
questions concern the organization of that information, and I wanted to know
if the way I am planning on doing it is correct, or if theres a better way.

- I have a namespace for each programming language. I think this is
necessary, because:
---- It allows users to search within articles for only particular
languages.
---- It allows articles of the same name to live under each language (e.g.
LangJava:Arrays, LangC:Arrays, etc.)

- As far as I have found out. Categories are common for the whole site. So,
the cateogory Arrays, can be a subcategory of other cateogies (e.g.
LangJava, LangC) but it will just be one category. For example, the
categories Category:LangJava:Arrays and Category:LangC:Arrays both point to
the same category (Arrays), not to two different sub categories.

So heres my question. Do categories that are similar between all programming
languages, (e.g. Arrays) have to be labeled differently (e.g. JavaArrays,
CArrays) for them to be disctint, or am I missing something... Because, if a
user wants to check Arrays articles for Java, they should be able to look
through a category for only Java Arrays.

- Another question is, it seems that namespaces and categories are not
really mutually exclusive, so, I need namespaces like (LangJava, LangC) AND
articles found within these namespaces must belong to categories like
(Category:LangJava, Category:LangC) as well?

Do the above methods seem reasonable or have I totally missed the correct
way of organizing information?

Thanks!