[Mediawiki-l] CVS like editing of wiki pages?

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Fri Aug 18 17:39:35 UTC 2006

>From: Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com>
>
>Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
>> Hello. Could Mediawiki include a feature which allows one to download
>> the wiki page-sources, edit them locally, and upload back?
>
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:External_editors

OK. How about the latter part of my mail, the downloading for
offline reading? Does mediawiki have anonymous access for read-only
external editing?

I have used wget for downloading but it does work only with sites
having a good wiki arrangement (e.g. Blender wiki with index.php/
"folder"), but not in site like nwn2wiki.org where everything is
in the same "folder". Even with good arrangement, mediawiki may place
pages outside of the index.php/ "folder".
(I use the term "folder" because the folder apparently is virtual,
so people have said to me.)

Downloading for offline reading is a problem because all pages
are mixed to a mess: the document and the wiki stuff (special,
action=edit, etc.). The document pages are not tagged etc.
The index.php/ "folder" separates the document pretty well but
it must be a lucky coincidence, not a designed feature. How it is?
It sure is not the installation default as seen from nwn2wiki.org.

It would be nice if you could clearly separate the document pages.
Either by tagging or by using "folders".

Juhana