[Mediawiki-l] Three questions re: RSS parser, Calendar extension, and Skins

khuffman at NGS.ORG khuffman at NGS.ORG
Fri Aug 18 11:32:58 UTC 2006

Hi, I have three questions.

Q 1) I've added an RSS parser to my extensions library for some of my
Wikis (MediaWiki ver. 1.6.8). Some of my sites I have set up  can only be
accessed either from a specific IP addresses or through a password to the
directory.  I am using the RSS extension and Magpie to display external
feeds within my wiki using the tags <rss></rss> but have not been able to
display feeds from our IP authenticated or password protected blogs. My
blogs and sites that are open work fine. Is there a way to display content
from either IP authenticated areas OR password protected areas using the
RSS parser and Magpie.

Q 2) Has anyone written a calendar program that integrates with MediaWiki?
Something that I could drop into my extensions library?  PMWiki.org has a
PMCalendar in their Cookboox and says that it may be compatible with other
Wikis. Have through about giving it a shot unless there's something
better.

Q 3) In MediaWiki:Sidebar, I have divided the navigation bar into two
areas e.g., *main navigation and *quick links.  So, on the left sidebar, I
get two boxes for organizing my links.  When I change my default Skin to
the Cologne Blue (or any other skin), though, only my *main navigation
box/links appear. My *quick links box/links disappear. Is there a way to
keep this persistent even if you use other skins?

Thank you, Karen