[Mediawiki-l] Automating the import page?

tim at greenscourt.com tim at greenscourt.com
Wed Aug 16 05:21:18 UTC 2006

Here's one option:

1. Install the pywikipediabot and configure it for your site.
2. Manipulate the data for your pages into one large file, preferrably
named dict.txt with {{start}} tags at the top of each page, {{stop}}
tags at the bottom, and the '''pagename''' as the first bolded item on
each page (optionally enclosed in an HTML-style <!-- comment -->
3. Run the login.py script to log in.
4. Run the pagefromfile.py script. This will parse through the dict.txt
file quickly creating each page in the file on your wiki.

This should be a fairly quick process... complete in under an hour or
two. The pagefromfile.py script can occasionally bomb out. If that
happens, look at your wiki recentchanges log, note the last file
uploaded, remove the data in dict.txt from the top of the file to that
page, and restart.

Good luck!

Tim