[Mediawiki-l] Break out links-How are they done?

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Sat Aug 12 00:26:38 UTC 2006

> From: "David Spencer, MediaWiki User" <wikipedia.org at davidspencer.ca>
>
> 3. FYI... I am a Mac user...

Ah, that explains a lot!

I think Mac users are more tolerant and understanding of "break out
links" because they are used to the "messy desktop" metaphor. I very
much prefer a site to open a new window when I can clearly see the
window opening (with the "genie" effect) and can see my old window
behind it.

I changed an older version of MediaWiki to make all external links
open in new windows. Then I started getting complaints from Windows
users. Then I tried it on Windows, and understood: the "clean
desktop" metaphor is the culprit! The new window completely covers
the old one, and the back button is disabled. The poor user is warped
off into some new world, without any clue how to get back.

Personally, I prefer the "messy desktop" metaphor -- reminds me of my
own physical desktop. :-) But it might be nice to have a preference
to allow the end user to choose how external links are opened. I know
I'd set it to open new windows, and understand that many others would
not.

:::: Jan Steinman, Communication Steward, EcoReality: http://
www.EcoReality.org ::::
:::: 160 Sharp Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2P6, Canada,
250.537.2024 ::::