[Mediawiki-l] Apple's Wiki Server brings WYSIWYG to wiki

MHart wiki at matthart.com
Fri Aug 11 16:50:23 UTC 2006

>> on your case, make your users use Word (or better,
OpenOffice.org), export to pdf and allow uploading of pdf...
or use an other tool (other than wiki, other than the web).

Yep - some people do exactly that. My baseline includes doc, xls, pdf, ppt.
I wrote an extension... well, more like a special page... that seamlessly
replaces the search with Google search, and our corporate Google appliance
indexes ppts, docs, etc...  So search results include things inside what
people uploaded. (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Google_Search-2)

Before Google, I modified the upload page to index doc, xls, ppt, and pdf
using the standard mediawiki search stuff - again, for the same reason. I
don't use those anymore, though.

Oh, and I totally agree with using OO - unfortunately... and bafflingly...
we still pay the big bucks for Office apps. I use OO at home.

- MHart