[Mediawiki-l] fighting; WYSIWYG compatibility - Re: Apple's Wiki Server brings WYSIWYG to wiki

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at yurkycross.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 11:23:26 UTC 2006

On 10 Aug 2006, at 8:24 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:

> What I don't like is the attitude that the core developers *should*
> do this or that *because* of this or that reason.

That's interesting. I'd be interested to see you quote where I said
the "developers should" do anything.

> My attitude is that if you want something, DO IT and give it back
> to the community. If it's popular enough, aids their purpose, and
> doesn't subvert their greater mandate, the developers will roll it in.

And so anyone who can't programme should just shut up?

> But some here are stomping their feet and whining and threatening
> to abandon MediaWiki if this or that reason if their demand is not
> met. Yes, to them, I do say "GET OUT!"

I explained why we won't be using MediaWiki in our office anymore for
reasons relating to participation in Wikimedia projects. It wasn't a
threat and nor was it whining.

Developers can do whatever the hell the like, yes, but they're not
the only ones with a stake in MediaWiki development as long as
MediaWiki is used by Wikimedia. If developers want to work towards
the goals of Wikimedia (including the goal of broad participation)
then the good ones will be happy to listen to those who have
experiences to share, as many have on the Wikitech mail list.

Christiaan