[Mediawiki-l] Foreign language text in an english wiki?

Glen Faires glen at madnys.com
Thu Aug 10 06:45:17 UTC 2006

I'm trying to set up MediaWiki, and as part of that I am attempting to
import a couple thousand text files into the program. I think I've worked
out how to batch convert them into the proper XML for the 'Import Pages'
setup to work, but I've run into a small problem. While most of the text
files are in English, there are a handful in German or French. The 'Import
Pages' code bails as soon as it hits one of these pages, with the following
error:

Import failed: XML import parse failure at line 575, col 1 (byte 23795;
"</text> </revis"): Invalid character

The line mentioned is the closing tag for the foreign-language text in the
file. I don't need (or want) three separate wikis, or for the interface to
be in any language other than English, I just want to find a way to automate
the process of moving these files into the wiki, preferably without having
to go through and manually weed out the problem files in advance.

Can anyone here help?