[Mediawiki-l] Paid Support (was Apple's Wiki Server brings WYSIWYG to wiki)

Lane, Ryan Ryan.Lane at ocean.navo.navy.mil
Wed Aug 9 16:56:27 UTC 2006

> MediaWiki is not targeted at internal office use. While some people do
use
> it successfully in this market, we offer no support, have no
marketing,
> make
> no income from it, and don't make any effort whatsoever to be more
than
> tolerable for it.

This makes me wonder, why not offer paid support? Why not charge a
yearly fee for regular support, and an hourly or bounty fee for
programming support (that is if the programming support also goes in
line with the direction of the software, WYSIWYG for example)?

It seems a large number of organizations are using the software, and I'm
sure quite a few would pay for support. Couldn't this offset some of the
development costs, and possibly bring in more developers?

V/r,

Ryan Lane