[Mediawiki-l] Apple's Wiki Server brings WYSIWYG to wiki

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at yurkycross.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 11:01:51 UTC 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 2:35 AM, Christopher Jorgensen wrote:

> Expecting people to "get it right" or to learn a "WYSIWYG" editor
> is silly. Throw it up there! Let the type A personalities make it
> "right." This way those of us with something to contribute can, and
> those wanting to make sure the color is within the lines can. Win win!

I can't believe that you're saying it's silly to "learn" a WYSIWYG
editor while at the same time implying that wiki markup just allows
people to "throw it up there." This is precisely the argument been
made against wiki markup.

You're not seriously suggesting that, given two non-technical people,
wiki markup would be less time-consuming and intimidating than a
simple WYSIWYG editor?

What is it about a simple WYSIWYG editor that wouldn't allow people
to just "throw it up there"? Surely it's easier to throw it up there
"as it is" rather than having to go through a interim language on the
wayy? I can't believe I even have to ask this question, it just seems
to plain obvious.

Christiaan