[Mediawiki-l] fighting; WYSIWYG compatibility - Re: Apple's Wiki Server brings WYSIWYG to wiki

Petr Andreyev gulliput at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 09:38:55 UTC 2006

It's sad to see people fighting on this list, trying to hurt each other.
This reminds me of two ways of breaking eggs in Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's
Travels.

I believe that if software architecture is good enough one can extend the
functionality in many orthogonal ways.
And developing such an architecture and such a software would be really in
the spirit of the ideas behind wikipedia and "opensource creativity". I
would follow a rule: accept any change that would make the software more
universal and modular (there are performance issues but they can be
resolved, especially in the case of mediawiki). Then there will be much less
politics, ownership and fighting.

In the particular case of WYSIWYG: suppose wiki text is abstracted in such a
way that other code only has access to methods of storing, visualising,
comparing and extracting structure from it (may be it is exactly and
completely this way in mediawiki now - that would be great!). Then we can
have some pages in wiki markup and some pages in HTML! The wiki markup pages
must be edited in the usual way, HTML pages - with WYSIWYG editor. There is
no need to have all pages stored in wiki markup or to edit wiki markup pages
with WYSIWYG - no conversion and cleaning problems at all! And one could
have a choice what types of pages to have on their particular installation.
( By the way, it was done that way (two types of wiki pages) in the Russian
project NPJ http://www.npj.ru/ )

Then you can use mediawiki for intranet as well, to the glory of it!

What are other problems that I don't see?