[Mediawiki-l] Character encoding problems

wiki at avenarius.sk wiki at avenarius.sk
Fri Aug 4 09:05:37 UTC 2006

On Friday, 4th August 2006 at 09:54:23 (GMT +0100), neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk wrote:

> The processing involves inserting text directly into the middle of the wikimedia dumps

It's important what text editor you use to insert that text. Some text
editors can only display UTF-8 encoded texts but are unable to save
them properly.

I regularly use the method you decribe to manually edit and re-upload
phpBB SQL backups (produced by phpBB's own built-in backup facility),
and everything works fine, including all accented characters
and Russian, Arabic or Chinese sentences. (And this even though
phpBB's default distribution encoding is iso-8859-1 and we had to
convert all configuration and language files into UTF-8 manually.)

--
Yours,
Alex.