[Mediawiki-l] Access rights

khuffman at NGS.ORG khuffman at NGS.ORG
Wed Aug 2 14:33:36 UTC 2006

Hi, I've modified my LocalSettings.php file to limit who can see, edit,
move, etc. content. Below is a short outline of what I've done:

1) * -- View only access to individuals not signed in/not given an
account; they are restricted to viewing only XX number of pages using
$wgWhitelistRead
2) User -- ability to edit pages, upload images but cannot make new pages,
move pages, etc.
3) SysOp/Bureaucrat -- granted all rights

I want to create one more access group: UserReadOnly (or something) -- so
someone must sign in to be able to read all pages, is not limited to what
they see but does not have edit/upload access. Is this possible by adding
an additional group in LocalSettings.php e.g.

// Implicit group for all logged-in accounts
$wgGroupPermissions['userreadonly' ]['move']              = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['userreadonly' ]['read']                = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['userreadonly' ]['edit']                  = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['userreadonly' ]['createpage']  = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['userreadonly' ]['createtalk']      = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['userreadonly' ]['upload']            = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['userreadonly' ]['reupload']        = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['userreadonly' ]['reupload-shared'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['userreadonly' ]['minoredit']       = false;

Would this make it accessible by SysOp/Bureaucrat for assigning once a new
user account is set up?

Thanks, Karen