[Mediawiki-l] Problems with losing session data. Users cannot edit pages.

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu
Tue Aug 1 21:33:26 UTC 2006

I wrote:
> if I just ignore the error I can edit and save as I'm used to doing. I
still
> don't like having the error message, it's a signal that something's going
> wrong.

 Christopher Miller <cmiller at creativeengineering.com> answered:

Yes but there goes keeping track of who is editing pages, signing
comments, etc.  Also you lose some privileges depending on your setup.
For instance if I can't log in I can't move or delete a page.

 <<<<<

I CAN log in. I said, I can edit and save as I'm used to doing.

After I log in, when I go to edit a page, I get the normal editing page but
with an error message, like this:

----

Editing TREEBANKING GUIDELINES

Preview

Sorry! We could not process your edit due to a loss of session data. Please
try again. If it still doesn't work, try logging out and logging back in.

----

I do my editing and preview, which works as it should, and then I save the
page, which works as it should. When I look at the history, my edit shows
with my name on it.

But, as I said, the very fact that the error message is coming up is a sign
that something is going wrong, as well as a nuisance.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania
   [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]