[Mediawiki-l] Thumbnails and Interlanguage Links

wiki at avenarius.sk wiki at avenarius.sk
Tue Aug 1 20:22:36 UTC 2006

Hello to the list,

our school is trying to integrate wiki pages into our site, and apparently
we'll be the first school in this country (Slovakia) to do that. We were
already asked to present the wiki integration at a government-sponsored
conference to be held next year.

Everything seems to be working fine except for 2 serious problems,
and we would appreciate if anyone could help us in resolving them.
We have MediaWiki 1.6.8 / PHP 4.4.1 / MySQL 4.1.19 installed.

///

ISSUE NO. 1:
Thumbnails creation does not work. We also have phpBB (with
the Attachments mod) and Coppermine installed elsewhere on the site,
both (I believe) relying on ImageMagick, and in those two apps,
thumbnails are created without a hitch. Here is our Sandbox:

http://tinyurl.com/mb7cp

The syntax is correct, but no thumbnail is created. Replacing "Image"
with the local language equivalent does not help either. We tried
to follow the advice on the following webpages but it did not help us:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Image_thumbnailing
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2004-October/001941.html
http://tinyurl.com/j6vmv

///

ISSUE NO. 2:
Interlanguage Links do not get displayed, no matter if the skin
is MonoBook or Classic. After you enter [[de:PageName]], for example,
this gets displayed in the body of the wiki webpage and not
in a special "In other languages" section.

///

As to school work, assignments etc. discussed in another thread,
we're planning to install the following fine extension:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/PageProtection

We hope we can get this to work. The extension basically allows
any student or teacher to mark any wiki page of theirs, or even
any section of their page, with the <protect> </protect> tags,
specifying within the <protect> tag to whom a wiki page or
a section of it should display and to whom it should not.
Both names of individual users or specific user groups
may be defined within the tag. If anyone has any experience
with this particular extension, we'll be happy to receive
any advice on using it.

--
Thank you,
Alex.