[Mediawiki-l] Twisting the use of namespaces

Petr Andreyev gulliput at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 17:14:08 UTC 2006

Hi Stéphane,

we had a very similar idea - a wiki with a special namespace (in general, an
area) for students' assignements.
So I'm very interested how things will go in your project.
I started NamespacePermissions for this purpose.

Now I'm thinking that may be namesapces are too heavy indeed.
One could do the following using subpages.

There is a page called Assignements. A subpage one level deeper represents
an assignement (ex. Assignement/Sep06Year2).
Creation of an assignement page automatically creates corresponding groups
and permissions, like NamespacePermissions does so that you may assign a
right to read, modify and create subpages of the assignement. Creation of
assignement pages is also restricted by special permissions.

This can be done easily through an extension. No special web-interface
needed. One-time setup.

Will this work for you??

Petr