[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 1.6.3 installation problem

Michael Fearn (gmail) mikefearn at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 16:07:53 UTC 2006

Hello list,

For my installation problem I will include the installation messages
followed by my limited testing, and then a few specific questions.

*Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.
*

   - PHP 4.4.0 installed
   -  *Warning:* *PHP's
register_globals<http://php.net/register_globals>option is enabled.
Disable it if you can.
   *
   MediaWiki will work, but your server is more exposed to PHP-based
   security vulnerabilities.
   - PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
   - Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
   - PHP's memory_limit is 32M. *If this is too low, installation may
   fail!*
   - Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
   - Neither Turck MMCache <http://turck-mmcache.sourceforge.net/> nor
   eAccelerator <http://eaccelerator.sourceforge.net/> are installed,
   can't use object caching functions
   - GNU diff3 not found.
   - Found ImageMagick: /usr/local/bin/convert; image thumbnailing will
   be enabled if you enable uploads.
   - Found GD graphics library built-in.
   - Installation directory:
   /web/sites/_m/_i/_k/mikefearn.com/public/wiki
   - Script URI path:
   - Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.

   *Generating configuration file...*
   - Database type: mysql
   - Attempting to connect to database server as sitedb...success.
   - Connected to 3.23.58-log -- mysql 4.0 or later required. Aborting.

This implies to me that the MediaWiki installer is being told the mysql
intalled on the webserver is version 3.23.58
However when I ssh into the webserver and do mysql -V it comes up with

> Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.13 for portbld-freebsd4.11 (i386) using readline 5.0

1) Which version (or versions) of mysql do people think is installed?
2) Can i run any commands to see if multiple versions are installed?
3) Can i change any settings in the MediaWiki installation or .htaccess to
force which version of mysql is used?

More questions may be needed, but I'll use this as a starting point

Many Thanks
Michael Fearn