[Mediawiki-l] Whitelist editing not taking hold (newbie level question)

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Sat Apr 29 09:24:04 UTC 2006

MediaWiki-l,

I have successfully installed my first MediaWiki.

My intention for this Wiki is that it only be edited by a select group
of registered users, but readable by anyone.

By looking in the User's Guide, I found that in order to do this I
should add the following lines to LocalSettings.php:
# This snippet prevents editing from anonymous users
# Added by Dave - 2006-04-29
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
# This snippet prevents new registrations from anonymous users
# (Sysops can still create user accounts)
# Added by Dave - 2006-04-29
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount']   = false;

However, after having added these lines and saved the file, when I go to
the Main Page and select the "edit" tab, there is nothing stopping me
from editing the page, despite not having logged in.

At the top of the page, it says: * 127.0.0.1 * Talk for this IP * Log in
/ create account

I have also cleared my cache and restarted my browser, just in case I
was defaulted to logging in as the administrator.

Is there something else I am missing?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G