[Mediawiki-l] wikiwyg in mediawiki

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 27 09:33:55 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 4/27/06, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
>>Joshua Yeidel wrote:
>>>The term WYSIWYG is often used to describe user interfaces which give the
>>>appearance that the user is directly manipulating the final output.  Think
>>>Microsoft Word.
>>>
>>>Wikiwyg, on the other hand, is a live preview.  You still type wikitext,
>>>which is a code.  [I happen to think wikiwyg is very cool, even if it isn't
>>>WYSIWYG.]
>>Wikiwyg uses the browser's HTML editor widget, and converts the HTML back to
>>wikitext for saving -- hopefully to wikitext which will translate back to what
>>you edited. ;)
>>
>>You can also click a tab to look at the reconverted wikitext before you save.
>
> There's two Wikiwygs, one at wikiwyg.net and one at wikiwyg.org. They
> are different technologies.

Aargh! Why do people do that :(

FWIW, I've used wikiwyg (.net :) with my kwiki. IMHO, it mainly works
but there were quite a number of little bugs to sort out.

I just tried the .org version but I didn't get any live preview on its
test page. When I changed text nothing changed in the preview window.
The Preview button was always greyed out. The formatted text only
updated when I clicked on the Save button in the usual way. Am I missing
something?

Cheers, Dave