[Mediawiki-l] noob questions

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 26 10:40:03 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm setting up a small mediawiki site with content migrated from kwiki.
I'm getting quite confused by how to find out how to do things with
mediawiki, so I joined this list to ask some questions. But I'm even
confused about whether this is the right place :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mailing_lists says "MediaWiki-l
for people with questions about their own installation of MediaWiki",
but the sign-up page for the list suggest a different focus "MediaWiki-l
-- MediaWiki announcements and site admin list". So my apologies if I'm
not in the right place.

I have one page where I'm documenting how some of my code works. It's
Javascript so the text is liberally scattered with HTML tags that I'm
discussing. But mediawiki is *interpreting* these tags as HTML! I see
that this is a feature from http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing
and http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:HTML_in_wikitext even tells me
which tags are affected. But I can't find anywhere that tells me how to
turn this feature off when I don't want it. How can I write text that
includes HTML tags as literals?

I'm also trying to include some images of what the resulting page looks
like. I succeeded by just adding something like
http://localhost/htdocs/images/one-line-evidence.png to my wikitext, but
I suspect that's not the pukka way to do it. Is there a better way?

Oh, is there a searchable archive for this list?

Thanks and regards,
Dave Howorth