[Mediawiki-l] converting ugly url to pretty with rewrite

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 17:10:14 UTC 2006

On 4/23/06, Michelle <michelle.sg1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to bug everyone again... I want to use mod rewrite to convert
> ugly url's (index.php?title=Main_Page) to nicer ones (index.php/
> Main_page).  The ugly URL is enabled in my LocalSettings.php.
>
> I've created this .htaccess file:
>
> RewriteRule ^index.php?title=(.*)$ index.php/$1 [L]
>
> And put it in my root directory.  But it seems to have no effect (the
> provider says rewriting is enabled).
>
> Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Michelle

I think the problem is that you are going the wrong way, you want to
convert the pretty urls that the user sees INTO the ugly ones so that
they can be processed.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rewrite_Rules#Using_a_rewrite_rule_in_a_.htaccess_file

As I understand it $wgArticlePath affects what mediawiki puts out as
links, not whether or not pretty urls are handled correctly, that's in
the domain of apache and php.  So to put it another way, you use the
rewrite rules to convert pretty url's into "ugly" ones internally for
processing (unseen by the user), and you use $wgArticlePath to make
the urls in <a> tags and the like, generated by mediawiki be in pretty
format, since the user WILL see these.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site