[Mediawiki-l] Interwiki link and space in url

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Apr 18 18:12:32 UTC 2006

> From: Tels <nospam-abuse at bloodgate.com>
>
> (The advise of the day is: you should not put spaces in filenames.
> Especially not when they can be accessed over the web.)

More specifically, I believe a space is not a legal character in a
URL, although various browsers may (illegally!) accept them.

As pointed out, you can access filenames with illegal URL characters
by hex encoding them. Space would be "%20". But in general, don't put
illegal URL characters in file names if you intend for them to be
accessed from a web browser. Safest bet is to limit URL characters to
alphabetic letters, numerals, underscore, and hyphen. Note that some
non-alphanumerics (like "?", "=" or "&") have their own semantics in
a URL, and MUST be avoided or hex-encoded to work in ANY browser!

:::: Life is a race between education and disaster. H.G. Wells ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::