[Mediawiki-l] Trouble Upgrading from 1.5.8 to 1.6.2

Thomas Cherry jceaser at mac.com
Mon Apr 10 13:34:36 UTC 2006

I downloaded the latest code and tried to update my database but
unfortunately I got an error that I could not resolve on my own.

What I did was:
1. install mediawiki to a new directory
2. Copy LocalSettings.php and AdminSettings.php from old wiki to new
3. Updated *.Settings.php (corrected paths and checked user names)
4. update.php

The database users I set in my settings files are root.  Below is a
copy of the output:

# php update.php
Going to run database updates for wikidb
Depending on the size of your database this may take a while!
Abort with control-c in the next five seconds...0
...hitcounter table already exists.
...querycache table already exists.
...objectcache table already exists.
...categorylinks table already exists.
...logging table already exists.
...validate table already exists.
...user_newtalk table already exists.
...transcache table already exists.
...trackbacks table already exists.
Creating externallinks table...Query "CREATE TABLE `externallinks` (
el_from int(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
el_to blob NOT NULL default '',
el_index blob NOT NULL default '',
KEY (el_from, el_to(40)),
KEY (el_to(60), el_from),
KEY (el_index(60))
) ENGINE=InnoDB
" failed with error code "Error writing file './wikidb/
externallinks.frm' (Errcode: 28) (localhost)".

Any ideas on what's going on?  Is the error coming from the
database?  For the fun of it I ran "chmod 777 /var/db/mysql" and
tried again and got the same error.  Could I create the table by hand
and run the updater again with out confusing it?