[Mediawiki-l] Can't see mediawiki site; see folder content listing instead.

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Apr 9 02:14:48 UTC 2006

Joseph Brick wrote:
> Trying to set up a local mediawiki server on my Mac (osx 10.4.4).
[snip]
> So I go to http://127.0.0.1/mediawiki/ in my browser, but rather than
> being presented with a web page (which I assume would guide me through
> setup), I simply see the file listing of that folder. E.g:

Mac OS X ships with PHP installed, but disabled in the web server. You must
enable the PHP module in the Apache configuration file.

In /etc/http/httpd.conf you will find a line like this:

  #LoadModule php4_module        libexec/httpd/libphp4.so

Remove the "#" from the start of the line to uncomment it, then restart Apache.
(You can do this by unchecking and re-checking 'Personal Web Sharing' in the
Sharing control panel, or running "sudo apachectl restart" in a terminal.)

If I'm looking at the default config file correctly, once PHP is enabled the
index.php should automatically start working. If for some reason it doesn't, you
may need to also add a line like:

  DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)