[Mediawiki-l] Authenticating to wiki using existing cookie

Justin Nazarenko jnazarenko at comcast.net
Sat Apr 8 21:41:04 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I asked this question a few months back and I am hoping someone has come
across a way to do it.

Basically, my wiki will sit at the URL wiki.domain.com.  My users come to
www.domain.com <http://www.domain.com/>  and log in, and I store a persisten
cookie for domain.com that contains their domain username.

Since this is true, is there a way to have it so that when a user clicks on
the link to the wiki from www.domain.com <http://www.domain.com/> ,
mediawiki will check the cookie, extract the username and authenticate the
user to the wiki using that same username? (creating appropriate tables in
the mediawiki db, etc).  Note:  the wiki is on a separate machine from the
main domain, so I can't use REMOTE_USER variable.

Thanks for any insight and feedback.

-Justin