[Mediawiki-l] Category links

John Wiedenhoeft wiedenhoeft at gmx.net
Fri Apr 7 16:11:35 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I was thinking about a feature in mediawiki that I can't make sense of.
When adding a category link to an article, it links to the edit page of
the category site. I guess this is to enable the user to quickly edit
this page without pressing the edit button (is this too much to expect
from him?). But what if no description in desired, e.g. if the category
("biology", "medicine") is self-explaining? The links stay red as if the
category page didn't exist.

Wouldn't it be desirable to change this behaviour? I really can't see
the benefit. Alternatively, the user should be able to save a
non-edited, empty page as the first version.

What do you think?

cheers,
john