[Mediawiki-l] URL points to localhost

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Thu Apr 6 01:34:42 UTC 2006

I'm rebuilding a mediawiki on a host running knoppix. It used to be on
another host that crashed and burned. mediawiki worked fine before the crash
and I'm using a backup to the DB to regen the pages.

If I edit a page, when I hit save it goes to the URL
http://localhost/wiki/index.php/pagename
and it gives me an error page that says "Unable to connect
 Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.
(..yadayada.) I guess this makes sense, as local host would be the client
machine where I am browsing, not the server where mediawiki resides, right?
But why does mediawiki put localhost in the URL?

If I then change the URL manually to
http://actualDNSname/wiki/index.php/pagename,
then it successfully loads the page with edits successfully done.

I am rebuilding this system, it is possible that mysql or apache got
downgraded and that mediawiki is doesn't match any more. That is maybe this
host had mysql 4.1 or even 5 running before.

now running
mysqld  Ver 4.0.24_Debian-10 for pc-linux-gnu on i386 (Source distribution)
Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-15 mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7d
MediaWiki 1.4.7

Does this ring any bells?