[Mediawiki-l] Personal wiki

John Wiedenhoeft wiedenhoeft at gmx.net
Sat Apr 1 12:25:58 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is a bit too naive, and wether its a FAQ or a
completely new stupid question.

I would like to setup a wiki on my notebook for my study and research
notes and book excerpts. Puzzling around with hundreds of text files is
quite unsatisfactory.  Besides, having used wikipedia online for a while
my way of thinking started to be wikified ;-)

Currently I work with didiwiki, but this has a poor search algorithm
that's even case sensitive, it doesn't support formula etc.

I would like to have mediawiki on localhost, accessing it from
localhost, and don't allow anybody else in the network to use it (guess
a firewall is enough?).

I read the installation procedure, but it appears it is more for people
having some network background.

I've installed the php packages etc. via apt-get (I'm using Ubuntu 5.10
Breezy, with Gnome), but I don't get that thing to work.

I'd very much appreciate some "mediawiki for idiots" instructions about
how to make my personal wiki run.

Best regards,
John

P.S.: I wouldn't need a complete page history. saving just the last 2-3
edits would be enough.