[Mediawiki-l] login problem

borch borch at slub-dresden.de
Thu Sep 29 09:02:13 UTC 2005

I try to make the pywikipedia-scripts work for my own Wiki to do a mass import of articles. I make
the settings described in the article. (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Using_the_python_wikipediabot)
When I try to login there is an error: socket.gaierror, 2, name or service is unknown.

Checked for running processes. 1 processes currently running, including the current process.
Password for user Bot on my:de:
Logging in to my:de as Bot
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "login.py", line 210, in ?
     main()
   File "login.py", line 206, in main
     loginMan.login()
   File "login.py", line 159, in login
     cookiedata = self.getCookie()
   File "login.py", line 113, in getCookie
     conn.request("POST", pagename, data, headers)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/httplib.py", line 800, in request
     self._send_request(method, url, body, headers)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/httplib.py", line 823, in _send_request
     self.endheaders()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/httplib.py", line 794, in endheaders
     self._send_output()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/httplib.py", line 675, in _send_output
     self.send(msg)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/httplib.py", line 642, in send
     self.connect()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/httplib.py", line 610, in connect
     socket.SOCK_STREAM):
socket.gaierror: (-2, 'Der Name oder der Dienst ist nicht bekannt')

What does this means and what can I do to make it run? Are there possibilities to do a mass import
of articles with the pywikipedia-scripts or are there other solutions (e.g. with perl-scripts or so).

Thanks