[Mediawiki-l] Changing a page title

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Sep 28 22:36:10 UTC 2005

Tim Whitehouse wrote:
> I believe the following is a case for a title that is different then the
> page name. In the bird area of Wikipedia the page name for each bird is
> the common name of the bird. Common names are different in various parts
> of the world but they still refer to the same bird so there shouldn't be
> separate pages for it. North Americans want to see Common Loon while in
> the UK they want to see Great Northern Diver and not only in the title
> but also in the content.

If you really, really need to do this you can do it with templates. As
you mention just above, the title isn't the relevant part since you want
to change the content too!

At [[Common Loon]]:
{{Blabla|Common Loon}}

At [[Great Northern Diver]]:
{{Blabla|Great Northern Diver}}

At [[Template:Blabla]]:
The '''{{{1}}}''' is a bla bla bla bla

Of course it would make more sense to use the scientific names and list
various common names in the article.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)