[Mediawiki-l] How to allow all-lower-case usernames?

prodos at prodos.com prodos at prodos.com
Mon Sep 26 23:32:42 UTC 2005

From: Prodos (Melbourne, Australia)

Good morning.

Prodos:
> > > It seems that usernames that are all lower-case are rejected!
> > >
> > > Why should that be? I don't get it.

Brion Vibber:
> > Usernames are a subset of page titles, and must follow the rules for
> > page titles.

Is that peculiar to MediaWiki?

I'm not a programmer/coder, but it strikes me as odd
that usernames - oops *U*sernames :-)  -  would be
subsets of page titles. Darn ... I meant ... *P*age titles :-))

I use other scripts such as: Wordpress, phpBB,
FUDForum, etc. and I'm not aware of such a
relationship with them.

Rowan Collins:
> Of course, there should probably be a more informative error when this
> barrier is encountered...

Yes, that would be helpful.

Although, I wonder if there's some sort of security
issue involved which requires the error message
to be general/vague.

Anyway, a colleague has altered my MediaWiki
script so that "first letter uppercase" is no longer
required. I've asked him to tell me how he did
it and will post his alteration on this list when I get it.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

http://prodos.thinkertothinker.com