[Mediawiki-l] Convenient ways to upload files to MW from local server?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Mon Sep 26 13:47:26 UTC 2005

Hello,

On numerous occasions, myself or one of my sw developers ends up
downloading massive file sets from our Subversion repositories in order to
upload them to MediaWiki.  (Some might question the sanity of this--I've
been burned enough by repository destruction in various
source-code-management databases to learn that we always take broad tarball
"snapshots" at every major software release.)

This is major drain on time and bandwidth...

...but it need not be that way if we can figure out how to get local files
from the remote server (hosted via a dedicated hosting servers) to the
MediaWiki running on that server, all from the command line.  (I suppose
one could X11/XWindows GUIs across the internet...but that seems rather
cumbersome and in many cases impractical...not to mention I have to go load
up all the X11 stuff on my server...ugh.)

I'm wondering if others have suggestions to use the MW UploadFile
mechanisms via a command-line interface, maybe like Lynx (if it's still
around) or something similar.  I'm looking for specific command-line
examples if at all possible.

Also note that my MW server is a https-based one, hence I need to be able
to provide username and password for SSL over the command line as well.

Thanks for any help!
-Matt