[Mediawiki-l] How to allow all-lower-case usernames?

prodos at prodos.com prodos at prodos.com
Mon Sep 26 13:12:37 UTC 2005

From: Prodos (Melbourne, Australia)

Good evening.

In an earlier post, I wrote:
> I've followed the instructions at:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Preventing_Access
>
> ... which prevents a new user from creating an account
> but which should still allow me as admin to create a
> new account, but I just can't make it work.
>
> Here are the instructions that I've been following from
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Preventing_Access
>
> - -
> In order to prevent new user registrations, the following line could be
> added to the LocalSettings.php file:
> $wgWhitelistAccount = array ( "sysop" => 1, "developer" => 1 );
>
> Note: New users will still be able to be created by sysops, in the
> following manner:
>
> Go to [[Special:Userlogin]], when logged in as a sysop.
> Enter a username and an email address, and click the "by email" button.
> The account will be created with a random password which is then emailed
> to the given address.
> - - -
>
> However, when I do all this I just get a note in red saying:
>
> "You have not specified a valid user name."

I worked out that when I made the first letter of the
username UPPER-case it all worked like a dream!

I've been struggling with this for 2 weeks. Sheesh!

It seems that usernames that are all lower-case are rejected!

Why should that be? I don't get it.

Is there some way to allow all-lower-case usernames?

Best Wishes,

http://prodos.thinkertothinker.com