[Mediawiki-l] Unicode characters map Edit

FxParlant f-x.p at laposte.net
Fri Sep 23 20:18:54 UTC 2005

Hello,

Although the abcTajpu extension for Firefox, offers facilities to
include non latin characters or accented letters, it is still far from
giving a complete map of unicode characters. I believe a trans-cultural
tool such as mediawiki could work on providing something to help the
inclusion of words or expressions from other languages or writing systems.

So here is my try. I include an iframe in the EditPage.php. A little
dropdown let the editor choose which language he wants to see. I think
it could easily be improved with Alan Woods pages of unicode mapping,
and maybe a little bit of javascript to automatise the inclusion of
characters. I believe a link could also be made in each language page,
toward free fonts for this unicode section (windows, linux and Mac)

QUESTION: The language pages are static files, not wiki pages. I first
tried to do this with inclusion of "raw" wiki pages. Unfortunately, the
didn't work, because my browser always asked for download of the file.
If anyone could tell me how to adapt the "raw" feature, it would allow
the iframe to be build from normal wiki pages

LINKS
Only Talk pages are editable (yes, my wiki is a test and hazardous tool :-)
http://www.fxparlant.net/Talk:Test
Just type a nickname and a password in the login page, it'll do.

Reactions ?

François