[Mediawiki-l] When trying to add user: "You have not specified a valid user name"

prodos at prodos.com prodos at prodos.com
Fri Sep 23 15:08:56 UTC 2005

From: Prodos (Melbourne, Australia)

Greetings.

I've followed the instructions at:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Preventing_Access

... which prevents a new user from creating an account
but which should still allow me as admin to create a
new account, but I just can't make it work.

Here are the instructions that I've been following from
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Preventing_Access

- -
In order to prevent new user registrations, the following line could be
added to the LocalSettings.php file:
$wgWhitelistAccount = array ( "sysop" => 1, "developer" => 1 );

Note: New users will still be able to be created by sysops, in the
following manner:

Go to [[Special:Userlogin]], when logged in as a sysop.
Enter a username and an email address, and click the "by email" button.
The account will be created with a random password which is then emailed
to the given address.
- - -

However, when I do all this I just get a note in red saying:

"You have not specified a valid user name."

What does this mean, please?

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions regarding this
problem.

Many thanks.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS