[Mediawiki-l] Page Templates

Wolfgang Zsalcsik wolfgang.zsalcsik at space.at
Tue Sep 13 10:32:44 UTC 2005

Hi,

I needed to do soemthing very similar on my wiki:

I was in need of a few of such standard pages, which shall have an initial
unified structure (im my case: project page, user page, group page,
talk page of templates, ...) but should allow to develop in a non-unified
way (as you say: some sections will only add in specific projects,
each user will put individual things onto its initial unified user-page, ...)

So my solution was as follows:

I created all "Standard pages" as Examples in the Meta-namespace (namespace 4)
In my case:
    WikiBASE:Example - User Homepage
    WikiBASE:Example - Template - Takl Page
    and so on ...
All these pages where added into the category Category:Examples by adding
the following code at the bottom:
    <!-- Remove this category when using this example, -->
    <!-- it is only used to add this example to the list of examples! -->
    [[Category:Examples|User Homepage]]
At my myin page, there is (in the header) a list of the mostly used
categories, it also includes [[Category:Examples]]
And it contains a little HTML form to createa a new page (which is only
a matter of convenience)

The procedure to start with a new page from such a standard page is
- go to the example and copy the code
- create a new page from the main page
- paste the copied example and fill in actual data as required.
- from this point on the page develops independently,
  but it was based on a standard page, providing an initial uniform
  structure

Hope this helps!
Regards
Wolfgang

Chris McIntosh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to define a standard page to use for documenation on my wiki.
> It should look something like
>
> Header:
> Business Case:
> Notes and Progress:
> etc
>
> I tried to set this up first with a wiki template.
> {{ProjectTemplate|Blah|blah|blah}} However it doesn't seem to be able to
> give me the flexibility to create different section of markup and possible
> change their position at a later time.
>
> I am thinking of something like an html page where I define different
> sections and then can define a stylesheet at a later time.
>
> Is there anything like this in Mediawiki?
>
> Chris McIntosh

                            \\\//
                           ( o o )
 ----------------------oOOo--(_)--oOOo-----------------------
|  ___    ___ ____  _     _____ ____   ____  ___  __  ____   |
| \   \/\/   / __ \| |   |  ___/ __/_ /  _ \|   \|  |/ __/_  |
|  \   /\   / |__| | |___|  _|| |__  |   _  |  \ \  | |__  | |
|   \_/  \_/ \____/|_____|_|   \____/|__| |_|__|\___|\____/  |
|     _____  _____   ____  _     ____  _____  __ __  ___     |
|    <____ |/  ___> /  _ \| |   /  __//  ___>|  |  |/  /     |
|    /  ___/\____ \|   _  | |__|  |__ \____ \|  |     <      |