[Mediawiki-l] unsupscripe

Gustav Vella gustav.vella at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 21:48:59 UTC 2005

On 9/9/05, B. Magilavy <bmagilavy at avalon-internet.com> wrote:
> Perhaps it would be clearer to people who are not familiar with the
> conventions of mailing lists if the footer were a bit more explicit:
> "To unsubscribe, go to " ... "and scroll down to the bottom of the
> page."
>
> Other lists I have seem are set up to unsubscribe on a return e-mail
> with that as the subject, which is very nice.

Hi,
I really don't want to drag this on too long but I've experienced this
user hassle on other mailman lists.

let's say the footer were more explicit and the user did find the
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l page, the issue
here is that the usability of that page is far from optimal: there is
no specifc heading on the page called 'unsubscribe'...and that's
exactly what you're looking for!

It might be too much for a hassled, nervous, impatient user with
temporarily (or permanently) impaired concentration, to go through the
contents under the heading of 'MediaWiki-l Subscribers' in order to
finally read the penultimate line and word 'unsubscribe'. To make
things worse it's a choice not a simple statement; it says
'Unsubscribe or edit options'

Finally the essential String 'Unsubscribe' is not translated into Dutch.

Just one single-state, prominent, correctly translated eject button
should do the job.

This said, please note that I am bending over backwards to put myself
into other people's shoes.

Gustav