[Mediawiki-l] Page creation by email

Dave Brewster dbrewster at guidewire.com
Thu Sep 8 20:12:05 UTC 2005

I was kicking around a similar idea here for our development group.

My thoughts were to create a program that would plug into sendmail.
This would harvest the email sent to an address and add it as a wiki
page; very, very similar to Eckhard's.

IMHO, the *really* important stuff is what the markup in the email
should look like.  Our primary use of this will be for HowTo's.  I.e.
when someone figures out how to do X, they simply copy the email thread
to the wiki by supplying a CC and adding some markup.

I was thinking something like this in the email:

<topic namespace="development" name="How to get a Location's bundle for
tests">
One of the improvements we made to Location bundle handling was to deny
external access to the Location's bundle in general (so
Location.getBundle() went from public to protected).  However in tests
you might want to do things like verify that a given bean is in the
Location's bundle.  For that sort of thing there is a new static test
method LocationTest.getLocationBundle(Location), which should be
self-explanatory.
</topic>

The markup I created is really geared toward a discussion group.  I
would think the topic tag would also accept things like category.

Thoughts?

Dave

Dave Brewster <dbrewster at guidewire.com>