[Mediawiki-l] Installation issue: 'http://localhost/wiki/index.php/Main_Page"

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Sep 8 06:02:26 UTC 2005

Graham Glass wrote:
> Before shifting to Apache, I'll have a quick go at getting it running under
> IIS.
>
> It would be useful to know at least the basics of how an initial call to
> index.php
> gets redirected to index.php/Main_Page. I have a development background, so
> I can plough through the PHP source code, but a little prod in the right
> direction
> would be greatly appreciated.

It's redirected with an HTTP location header (you can watch this in any
packet sniffer or in-application HTTP protocol display such as the Live
HTTP Headers extension on Firefox).

If you mean, why's it redirected and how is the target URL determined:
the title given in the URL is non-canonical (none given where Main_Page
expected) so the canonical URL is formed and sent as a redirect target.

Article view URLs are constructed from $wgArticlePath. Please see
LocalSettings.php and DefaultSettings.php.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)