[Mediawiki-l] Unable to upload images

Edward De Jongh Edwardd at discovery.co.za
Tue Sep 6 13:19:42 UTC 2005

Permissions?

-----Original Message-----
From: mediawiki-l-bounces at Wikimedia.org
[mailto:mediawiki-l-bounces at Wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Boyd Timothy
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 3:18 PM
To: mediawiki-l at Wikimedia.org
Subject: [Mediawiki-l] Unable to upload images

I setup a mediawiki (1.4.9) site on one of my test servers and had
image uploading working perfectly.  Then I migrated the entire site to
a production server and image uploading stopped working.  When I
attempt to upload a file, the Upload File page just reloads itself
without doing anything.

There are other mediawiki sites running on this same server and the
image upload works fine on them so I figure it's not an issue with the
PHP configuration.

I've attempted to debug the problem by manually editing
includes/SpecialUpload.php and seeing where the code ends up.  The
code is always ending up going through the last "else" block in this
code snippet:

                if( $this->mReUpload ) {
                        $this->unsaveUploadedFile();
                        $this->mainUploadForm();
                } else if ( 'submit' == $this->mAction || $this->mUpload
) {
                        $this->processUpload();
                } else {
                        $this->mainUploadForm();
                }

For whatever reason, which has to be part of the problem,
$this->mAction and $this->mUpload variables are NULL/empty every time
I attempt to upload a file.

I've modified my file upload variables in LocalSettings.php to be the
same as the other wiki on the server that works.  Here are the things
I've modified there:

$wgUploadPath       = "$wgScriptPath/files";
$wgUploadDirectory  = "$IP/files";

$wgDisableUploads               = false;

## The list of allowed upload file types
$wgFileExtensions = array( 'png', 'gif', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'ogg', 'zip',
'pdf', 'svg', 'tar.gz', 'gz', 'txt', 'doc', 'xls', 'ppt', 'mp3',
'sxc', 'swf' );

$wgFileBlacklist = array(
        # HTML may contain cookie-stealing JavaScript and web bugs
        'html', 'htm',

        # PHP scripts may execute arbitrary code on the server
        'php', 'phtml', 'php3', 'php4', 'phps',

        # Other types that may be interpreted by some servers
        'shtml', 'jhtml', 'py', 'cgi',

        # May contain harmful executables for Windows victims
        'exe', 'scr', 'dll', 'msi', 'vbs', 'bat', 'com', 'pif', 'cmd',
'vxd', 'cpl');

Does anyone have any idea on what I should try next or has anyone else
ever seen this problem before?

-Boyd